Monday, April 09, 2012

hello


Well it seems I took a little impromptu blogging break last week.  Sometimes that happens. Life happens.

But let me just tell you a few things that are on my mind lately.

First, the Sugar Daddy and I have decided to try to eat mainly vegetarian meals. We aren't going totally  veggie. We still like a steak every now and then, but for many different reasons we want to cut out meat and eat a plant based diet.

This has proved very hard for meal planning! It is so much easier to come up with a menu when you start with a meat.   If any of you out there have a fabulous recipe that is vegetarian that you'd share with me, it would make me oh so happy. One thing though. It also has to be healthy. 

You see my problem? It's really hard to come up with healthy vegetarian options that my kids will eat.

Now, another thing.

The other day I watched as a boy said something mean to my Tommy Bean.  His eyes welled with tears and my heart cracked and broke into a million pieces. The boy that said the mean words isn't a bully. He's just a kid that was showing off.  But I started thinking about bullying and the new film that is out and the controversy surrounding it. I guess they have given the film an R rating because of language and people are up in arms about this because they want children to be able to see the movie to raise awareness about bullying.

Here's what I decided. I won't take my kid to see a movie with bad language, even if it does have a good message. I think those of us with younger kids need to do our own work in educating our kids about being cruel.  In fact, I think this is part of our obligation as parents. We don't need a film to teach these principals.

So when this boy said mean things to my son, I knelt down and looked him strait in the eyes (and fought back my own tears and anger) and told him to remember exactly how it felt and to try to never make anyone else feel that way.

Also, on Wednesday I'll be giving you the inside scoop on the screen printing class from Prospector Workshops. If you are thinking about coming, please get registered soon!

If you are coming from out of town for the workshops, please feel free to leave a message on the Facebook page if you are looking for someone to share lodging or car rentals. 




10 comments:

Janine Williams said...

Eli's favorite dinner, in fact, his birthday dinner request, is a healthy and o so tastey non-meat dish!

We call it Zuchhini Pasta
(I tend to pour/sprinkle til it looks right, but this isn't a cake, so...)
1 box barilla rotini pasta
some pine nuts
4-5 zucchini -usually quartered lengthwise then in half
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
about 15 leaves fresh basil, cut thinly
olive oil
butter
salt
A cup or so of shredded parmesan

Lightly toast pine nuts on stove then set aside. On med high stove, saute zucchini in olive oil and 1 T butter and some salt til tender. Set aside. On low stove, same pan, soften minced garlicwith a bit of olive oil. Then add pine nuts and zucchini back to the pan. Add basil, cooked pasta and a bit more butter/olive oil. Then add plenty of shredded parmesan. And of course, eat it with lots of crusty Italian bread!

Anonymous said...

Poor Tommy Bean :(

I don't know how well this will translate from uk measurements/ingredients, but this is delicious;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7742/fiveaday-tagine

Entwined Essentials said...

When I saw your tweet about Tommy getting picked on my heart broke a little too. I'm glad to know there are people in the world (like you) that try to teach their children how to be good.

As far as a vegan recipe goes, I'm not vegan myself but I did try this recipe off of the show Bitchin' Kitchen that was sooooo delicious. My kids love it too.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/nadia-g/moroccan-couscous-recipe/index.html

Claudia said...

I found this chickpea taco recipe on this blog and tweaked it for my taste. Instead of the tamari spice it asks for I used curry. I made a chipotle mayo cabbage slaw to go with it.
http://happyherbivore.com/2008/05/chickpea-tacos/

Hope this helps!

Joan Crandall said...

I have lots of healthy, vegetarian recipes. We are meat free Monday-Thursday - I also love the periodic steak and my post-church In and Out.. We're out of town right now so I will send them when we get back. Eating Well (cooking light too) are also good magazines for that. **I would LOVE to come to your workshop! But Madeline's dance recital is both days the same weekend. If it wasn't, I would be there in a second!

Anonymous said...

Kids like raw vergi like carrots, peperbells, their colors! Try moroccan and indian recipes, a dal every day is necessary for your bones and those of the kids! good luck!

Jennifer Reynolds said...

One of my all time favorite, non-meat recipes. Perfect for spring and summer.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-fusilli-with-arugula-recipe/index.html

elizabeth said...

Oh my heart.
It broke when I read that about your lil Tommy Bean. I've been there and have never known what I should say or do but you have now inspired another Mom on an amazing thing to say.

Because for me, it's so important that my kiddos grow up respecting others and being kind and these are the perfect words to help them understand that.

So thank you :)

As far as the recipes go, right now I'm hooked on throwing all kinds of veggies into quinoa right now.

Have you considered using meat based recipes and substituting the meat for a meat substitute (morning star farms is aaaaaahmazing!) and then your kids will never know the difference.

Many hugs :)

(elizabeth manna on IG)

Nancy Wyatt said...

I can't give up meat, me likes meat a lot. LOL I really wish I could come to the workshop!!

paula -from spark said...

April, I happened to attended a thai cooking class taught by a Charity Lighten. She happens to be a part of something called the Cancer Project and on www.wholefoodmommies.com --she has a booklet ($5) that is called "7 Day Kickstart to better health" its a 7-day meal plan of nutrious, whole-food recipes designed to get you started (whole food plant basied diet). The recipes look REALLY GOOD. And if the thai recipes she made are any indication I bet the recipes are good too!! Let me know if you want me to send you more info. GOOD LUCK!!