Friday, February 03, 2012

love tokens



What tiny treasures rattle around in the bottom of your jewelry box? In your travels, have you ever picked up a shell, a cool pop top, a postage stamp, a skipping stone? Do you keep your children's teeth as they fall out?

I find that for most of my life I have been a bit of a squirrel. I gather and stash all sorts of tiny things. To me, they are like the crumbs of bread that Hanzel and Gretel dropped to find their way back home. My little treasures lead me mentally back through the years, back to my childhood.

Some of my most treasured possessions would be worthless to anyone else. I have a small crumpled paper with the name “Ben” and a phone number scribbled on it. It was the first thing he ever gave me. I have a stone he found in the forest. It is shaped like a heart and I was delighted when he left it on my pillow. I have a tiny withered daisy that my son gave me one afternoon. I have a small wooden spoon my best friend carved.

They are just things. But every so often I hold them in my hands and I feel loved.

Someday, I will write down what each love token means to me, where I got it and who gave it to me. And in the mean time, I will continue to keep and treasure and hopefully give a few love tokens in return.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I do the same thing April, I have one drawer in my dresser with little things in it, including my kids teeth, now that they are teens they think it's pretty gross that I have saved their discarded body parts, but it reminds me of the days when they were little and toothless, now they are done with braces and have adult smiles, they'll get it someday...

Unknown said...

Now I'm feeling guilt for throwing away my kids' teeth! ;)

I need a cute box/bowl to put these things in. I have little mementos all over the place, but after a few years of having it all alone in one place I usually experience a sudden burst of cleanliness (short-lived) and throw away my mementos.

I love your little forest stone; that is a bit precious.

Elizabeth said...

I have a little zippered bag in my purse filled with this sort of love token -- a NYC subway token, the string/clip to my daughter's pacifier, a scrap of paper from my father with encouraging words, etc. You've inspired me to perhaps craft a post out of it.

homemade@myplace said...

so sweet!
love, xxx Alessandra

Alice Larkin said...

It is important to make those memories available to others we love. I have a treasured depression glass platter I have filled with those small items that hold so much meaning. As my little grandsons have reached the age where they understand, I have shared the story of each item with them. Now when they come they very gently touch and repeat back to me the special stories. It is such a wonderful way to tie them to their own heritage. I suspect they will never forget what it means to share our hearts! Love your blog!