Wednesday, February 22, 2012

bombdiggity


A word about collaboration if you will?

Lewis and Clark. Astaire and Rodgers. Hillary and Norgay. Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Yes. Indeed.

As an artist, I have a tendency to stow away in my studio and work on projects away from prying eyes. I like the idea that it's all me. Nobody else can take credit or claim ownership in what I am doing.

But this week I have been collaborating, and quite frankly, I have been reminded how important it is to work with other people.

My dad likes to say that we are all sent to Earth as rough stones. Life is like a giant rock tumbler. We need to bump into each other to become shiny and beautiful.

I have a few friends that I really love to get together with and talk shop because I always come away inspired. Sometimes all you need to take a good project to great is a second pair of eyes.  Suggestions don't make your work any less your own. They are simply suggestions. And more often than not, you will see your work in a new light and make some changes.

So here's your assignment: (If I might be so bold as to dole out assignments to people I don't even know.)

Stop, collaborate and listen. (Sorry that was rather geeky of me, but you get the idea.)

Find a friend. Talk shop. Start a creative project.

Are two brains better than one? Yes. Unless you are married to the other brain. Then you might want to shy away from doing projects together. Speaking from experience, it could get sketchy.

Projects aside, the Sugar Daddy and I are The Bombdiggity.


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love the rock tumbler quote of your father's. Thank you for the inspiration!

homemade@myplace said...

I totally agree with you!!! And like Elizabeth, I simply adore your father's quote, too!! Maybe because I am a geologist......
Love, xxx Alessandra

Laurie said...

right now my hubby and I are tiling the backsplash in the kitchen...there have been moments...lol...