Thursday, January 27, 2011

no one is having sex with the rooster



The Rooster has lost faith in love.

I spoke to him on the phone the other day.

He said, "I think I just might be a heartless bastard."

"Hummm." I sighed tentatively.  Remiss to comment on this.

"I mean, I've never been head over heels in love with anyone. I don't know if I'm capable of loving anyone in that way.  I want to.  It's just...missing."

The Rooster wants to be married, but The Rooster is afraid. He is afraid of choosing the wrong person. He's a cautious person. He's the kind of person who lists pros and cons when buying laundry detergent.

I don't have any good advice for him per se.  Just because I found the love of my life doesn't mean I know how to do it. I don't know how you know. How do you really know when you've found the one?

I do know the right person makes you feel whole. You honestly believe that if that person's heart quit beating, yours would cease as well. I know that when you are with the right person, you can feel very rich living at poverty standards.  The happiness in life is richer because they are there, by your side.  The sorrow is more bearable because they are there.  Life and time have taught me these truths.

I believe in love.  Long lasting, time weathered, passionate love.  I believe I will love my husband more tomorrow than I do today.  All the fights, celebrations, mourning, working and playing add another strand to strengthen the cable that holds our hearts together.

Are we just lucky?  We must be because I don't know any secrets.

So Brother-

Believe in the unbelievable. It exists. That's my best advice.

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.  -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This is sappy. I love it.

*******************************************


Remember this Seinfeld episode?


FRANK: Let me understand, you got the hen, the chicken and the rooster. The

rooster goes with the chicken. So, who's having sex with the hen?

GEORGE: Why don't we talk about it another time.

FRANK: But you see my point here? You only hear of a hen, a rooster and a

chicken. Something's missing!

MRS. ROSS: Something's missing all right.

MR. ROSS: They're all chickens. The rooster has sex with all of them.

FRANK: That's perverse.




P.S. No one is having sex with The Rooster.  He's looking for his true companion.

5 comments:

Emily said...

anytime someone lists something around my husband he automatically starts listing "You have a chicken, a hen, and a rooster." We looove that episode.

Kari said...

There's also work. Deciding this is the real deal and doing all in your power to make it so. I don't believe in "one." I believe you make the one you want, your "one" and work to make it happen. And you're lucky when they decide you're their "one" at the very same time. Great love can come from very average people, devoted in heart.

Unknown said...

Totally agree with Kari. Have you heard this one: "Love is a decision." That sums it up in my experience.

elizabeth kartchner said...

april, I love this post so much...

catching up on your blog this morning... see you at cha!

Kimberly said...

having had the most amazing man in my life, and now having him gone....there is much i could say here. i am so glad, my friend (can i call you that?)....that you appreciate what and WHO you have in your life. i would give anything to have james back. anything. i miss him. we just went together. there is no other way to describe it. we belonged together. i still feel this huge, giant, gaping hole in my life. am i miserable and sad all the time? no. but every single day i miss him. his children miss him. i'm not sure why i am even posting and saying all of this to you.... emotional today, i suppose. i get that way when i am tired. and today i am VERY tired. share your life. love hard. leave the dishes. sneak a hug, cuddles, lay naked together (sorry if that was out of line)....but really...i miss that part of my life! kiss your man. smell him. just BE with him. and try to enjoy every single second. :-)