Wednesday, August 18, 2010

hoopla

click here for credits

I'm seriously loving the idea of embroidery hoops as wall decor. The possibilities are endless. And you don't even have to actually embroider to make them beautiful. If you have only a scrap of your most favorite vintage fabric that you know you will never ever find again because it's like, fifty years old, and soooo special, I say hoop it and hang it on the wall.

Having said that, I must add that anything hand embroidered is special and unique and just why on Earth would anyone want to pass on embroidery anyway?

Here's my latest project.  I hand carved the stamp and used it on ivory cotton as a pattern.


There is something about embroidery. I just can't put my finger on it. It's like down home and comforting to me.  I can't wait till the Bird is old enough to wield a needle.

7 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

SO cute! I think my girls are going to need a wall of hoops.

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea. Now I have to learn how to embroider!

I love the little silhouette stamp and embroidered flowers. It's beautiful.

Unknown said...

oh what fun! reminds me a little of my blog banner. which makes me think I need a stamp of it..hmmm.

Molly said...

Love this! I love embroidery so much I hosted a swap which included you make a embroidery travel kit for your partner and put it in a vintage clutch. It was so much fun! Amy over at Inspired Co. hosted a stitch along which I participated in and it was so fun looking at everyone's squares and what they came up with. If you ever host a stich along I would totally join lady!!! My huby makes fun of me everytime I venture into JoAnn's or Hancocks, I always but atleast $5 worth of embroidery floss just to have in my stash :) Love your stamp, do you sell them?
~Molly P

Anne Thompson said...

Some of the best embroidery I've seen was done by a young man...just a thought...

Leslie said...

so pretty, april! i love embroidery, too. it's so old fashioned to just sit there with a hoop and floss. :)

Anonymous said...

did you actually have the delivery guy STOP and pose so you could get a picture?!!! haha oh april. i miss my meekers so expect a visit soon!
loves natalie