Tuesday, October 07, 2008

a little art will do ya good

I've been thinking a little lately about art. I wanted to find out exactly how, in general, art effects us as humans. I googled "how art effects society". I got this answer from WikiAnswers:

Art is a reflection of the society. Art is influenced by society, not the other way. Societies record their achievements in art forms, as did the Romans, pre-Islamic Arabs, Chinese, etc; and their advancements are judged by the grandeur of their art.

Totally lame. And Wrong. Society is influenced by art. Case in point- billions of Spiderman and Cinderella costumes will be sold this Halloween.

So I had to dig deeper. I have spent a little time reading here and there on various academic sites. I am yet to find an answer that totally satisfies me. What I do know is this: humans have a fundamental and God given desire to create. Some of us more than others, but still, it is there.

We can also be deeply touched and moved by other people's creations. I know that every time I walk past certain pictures in my house, or listen to a really good song, I feel a little happier.

Here's a chance to enrich your life with a little art. And I mean "little" literally.

Ching is a full time artist living in Malaysia. She has been commissioned to paint for hotels and interior designers. She loves where she lives and fully embraces the many cultures that make up her world. These influence can be found in her work. I'd love to met Ching someday, she laughs a lot in her emails. My guess is she is a very happy person. You can see more of her work here and here.

She has donated this beautiful little mandala for the give away. Most of Ching's pieces are rather large, but for this little art post, she has sent me a smaller piece. It is only 3"X 3". The winner will also receive 10% off anything in her shop.



Lauren Simone is a map artist who lives in Portland, Maine. She had this to say about her "Farmscape" series:
Aerial Farmscape utopias are something I've been playing
with lately, dreaming of the future. My boyfriend and I want to
start a cob-house community with a farm with our friends -- I'd
help build and run educational programs and cook. Perhaps a far off dream, but we'll see.

Lauren's other maps are remarkable in that she uses the shapes of various human organs and transforms them into countries and land masses. You can see more of Lauren's work here and read her blog here.


She has donated this little farm landscape to be given away. It is only 3 1/2 " X 2 1/2". I think it would look darling float mounted on linen and hung in the perfect little spot.


If you would like to be in the drawing for one of these little pieces, please leave a comment. The drawings will be done separately with my random number picker so you will need to leave a comment for each piece you are interested in winning.

Here's to a more artful life!


19 comments:

K and/or K said...

Oh I would love to be entered in the contest to win the beautiful little mandala! I love the colors and the smallness of the piece makes it all the more unique! Thanks!

Jessica said...

I'd love to be entered to win either! Great giveaway! :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love the mandala artwork. its so soothing for the soul to gaze upon this beautiful artwork. I would be so honored to win this!

Ally said...

Great post!

The mandala is so pretty, such great colors!

Ally said...

The farmscape looks so interesting!

Amyesq said...

Wow! They are both gorgeous.

Expressions By Devin said...

Great giveaway.I would love to enter to win.Thanks for sharing:0)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I, at age 46, have just begun exploring my creative side. It's fun and enjoyable, and it will "do ya good!"
Loved this post, and the artists you mentioned. So creative.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful artwork!
I would love to win either piece of artwork!

Jenny Hurst

Jennifer said...

This farmscape transports me to a magical place. I could feel peaceful walking by this little gem each morning. Excellent find.

AlwaysInspired said...

That mandala is beautiful and I also love the farm scape piece. Very textural.

Michelle said...

I love Ching's piece. Stunning!

Cyndi said...

I Love anything "maps"!

Cyndi said...

Ching art is amazing!

Robynsart said...

Art is very important... it feeds the soul. These items are amazing.

Bobbi said...

Art definately influences society. Otherwise none of us would be here, in this crafty part of the blogosphere. I too would like to be entered to win.

ikkinlala said...

May Canadians enter? I'd love to win either one, but if I had to choose I'd pick the mandala.

magpie said...

just wanted to say how pretty those are. good luck everyone!

Unknown said...

The winners have now been choosen.