Thursday, July 10, 2008

in this little house

This modest little home has a great legacy. In 1957, a woman named Naomi Randall was raising her family here. My grandmother and Naomi were both serving on the General Board of the Primary Association in the LDS church. The board asked Naomi to compose a song for the Primary General Conference, and after praying for help to accomplish this task, Naomi awoke in the middle of the night and wrote the words to "I am a Child of God".

This little house sits just up the street and around the corner from my parent's home. Thom and I leave to go home tomorrow and although I am really itching to get back to my work bench and garden, and I am really missing Sugar Daddy, I am always a little sad to leave my home town. I have so much history here. My ancestors were some of the founding families. I am quite sure that "I am a Child of God" was one of the first songs I ever learned.


I Am a Child of God
I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.
I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.
I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with him once more.
I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.


FYI: "I am a Child of God" has since been translated into over 90 languages. It is one of the 45 hymns that the church publishes in its basic curriculum sources that are used in areas of the world where the church is new or underdeveloped. Thus, it is typically one of the first hymns that new Latter-Day Saints receive and learn.

1 comment:

Apryl said...

That is such a great story, April! That has always been my favorite song. So interesting! Thanks for sharing.